Student Services Center
Trans students on campus have many options for changing their name and/or gender on university-wide documents and records. (While many of these changes can be made without legal documentation, others (diploma, paychecks, financial aid, medical records) do require documentation.)
To change the name and/or gender displayed on a student diploma, paychecks and financial aid documentation, a student must bring official documentation of a name and/or gender change AND a government-issued photo ID with the new name and/or gender to the Student Services Center on the 2nd floor of Tresidder Student Union. Name/gender changes may take some time to be reflected on official documents.
For a new ID card visit the Student Services Center in person at 459 Lagunita Drive, Suite 7, Tresidder Memorial Union 2nd floor, (866) 993-7772.
To change the preferred name and gender pronouns that displays on Canvas, class rosters and other systems on campus:
- log into Axess
- Navigate to “Personal Information” in the top-right dropdown menu
- Select “Preferred Name” for the “Name Type” option
- Enter in the name you would like to appear in the system
- OR: Log into Axess and navigate to the “NameCoach” link under the STUDENT tab
- Fill out the prompts with the name and/or the pronouns you would like to be referred by.
To change the name displayed on sent emails:
- Navigate to Settings -> Accounts -> Send mail as: ->
- Edit info and enter the preferred name
For more information, visit: https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/help/faq/update-contact-info and to order a replacement diploma with a different name, use the online Document Ordering Portal.