Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
Tresidder Union, 2023.  Credit: Nikolas Liepins / Ethography

Name and Gender ID

Main content start

Trans students on campus have many options for changing their name and/or gender on university-wide documents and records. While many of these changes can be made without legal documentation, others (diploma, paychecks, financial aid, medical records) do require documentation.

Student Services Center


To change the name and/or gender in the alumni database, email for assistance. Default settings in the alumni directory will show the former students’ name as it appeared in the university registrar at the time of their graduation. Alums can change this in their alumni directory account profile settings. Alumni can also use the online Diploma Request Portal to order replacement diplomas and transcripts.


Preferred Name and Gender Pronouns

To change the preferred name and gender pronouns that displays on Canvas, class rosters and other systems on campus:

  1. Log into Axess
  2. Navigate to “Personal Information” in the top-right drop down menu
  3. Select “Preferred Name” for the “Name Type” option
  4. Enter in the name you would like to appear in the system


  1. Log into Axess and navigate to the “NameCoach” link under the STUDENT tab
  2. Fill out the prompts with the name and/or the pronouns you would like to be referred by.

Display Name

To change the name displayed on sent emails:

  1. Navigate to Settings > Accounts > Send mail as 
  2. Edit info and enter the preferred name

Medical Records

To change the legal name and/or gender that appears on medical records, you will need to go to the Stanford Hospital (not Vaden Health Center) with documentation of a name and/or gender change AND a government-issued photo ID with the new name and/or gender. 

New ID Card

For a new ID card  visit the Student Services Center in person at 459 Lagunita Drive, Suite 7, Tresidder Memorial Union 2nd floor, 866.993.7772.

Replacement Diploma or Transcript

To order a replacement diploma or transcript, please use the online Diploma Request Portal.

Student Diploma, Paychecks and Financial Aid Documentation

To change the name and/or gender displayed on a student diploma, paychecks and financial aid documentation, a student must bring official documentation of a name and/or gender change AND a government-issued photo ID with the new name and/or gender to the Student Services Center on the 2nd floor of Tresidder Student Union. Name/gender changes may take some time to be reflected on official documents.

3D Illustration of colorful wave. Credit: agsandrew / iStock